Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mamasita



Oh boy. I've got so much work to do (thankfully) and I shouldn't be blogging...but...(My mom says I shouldn't say but. Or butt. Because when you say but what you're really saying is "forget what I just said, what I really mean is this...") My mom also says that when you hear someone sigh, what they're really saying is "look what I have to put up with" and she also says that pouting is the highest form of seduction. You figure that out. Although this wasn't going to be a blog about my mom (who I call mom or mamasita in private and Shirley in public as she doesn't seem to answer to mom when we're among people) she's clearly on my mind. And heart. This weekend I drove to Blythe, California (aka Blight) to visit my mom and dad. They live on the Colorado river off the I-10 freeway where it is hot as h. e. double toothpicks. Mom and I went swimming in her "club" pool, we worked on a dress (she sews, and has made clothes for me all my life. One weekend when I was probably 9 she came home from a weekend away with my dad and I had grown so much in 2 days that nothing fit me, so she made an outfit a day for a week so I'd have something to wear. She'd make practically anything I wanted and once made me a jumpsuit like the one Fonzie wore on Happy Days.) We also cooked. Guess what we made? Cornbread and blackeyed peas. Yummy. I just want to say this about my mom. Although she's not perfect, she has been a very loving, sweet mommy to have. Very interested in my life. Affectionate. She laughs at my jokes. She had me when she was only 21 years old and did an amazing job for someone so young. I always felt safe with her. Yikes. I just realized that if I'd had a kid at 21, they'd be 20 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! (That's me running like a crazy person from the thought of it) I'd love to have a child and hopefully I will and if they think of me half as highly as I think of my mom...I'll be happy.

4 comments:

Wanda Bricker said...

What a wonderful tribute to my best friend.

Staci said...

Any child would be incredibly lucky to have you for a mom. And you're right - your mom IS sweet!

Anonymous said...

Do you think your mom would make me a Fonzie jumpsuit? Cool. Very cool.

mendacious said...

yes, but clearly you need to blog more. ; )